February 19, 2013

Pileated Woodpeckers

On Saturday we went for a hike to Lemoines Point in Kingston. It was a beautiful, but chilly day.

If some people would dress appropriately we could have walked longer. My little dog, Zeek was getting cold and we ended up putting him in his backpack and he rode part way through the hike!

As we were heading down a shortcut, we heard some pecking and then saw this big gorgeous bird-- the Pileated Woodpecker. They are really big and I was lucky to get fairly close to it so I could get some good shots. Then another one showed up and I managed a few shots of the two of them together. They didn't stick around long, but I was happy with the shots I got of them!

I hope everyone had a great family day! We spent the day at Grammy & Moe's, although our doggies didn't get along too well. Zeek was terrified of their two doggies. Too many strangers for him I guess!

Check out these big, beautiful birds....I also included a couple of nuthatch shots. They are so cute the way they come down the tree sideways! Kevin and Keturah were feeding them, but I was way over close to the woodpeckers, so I didn't get any shots of them feeding any of the small birds.

Back to the scheduled flowers next week!
 










No comments: